From: Till Halbach <halbach@nr.no>
Date: Tuesday, June 13, 2023 at 4:15 PM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Mixing languages
Greetings,

I know about marking up an entire document (WCAG SC 3.1.1) and parts of
it (3.1.2), but I wonder whether there are any recommendation regarding
the mixing of languages in documents. Probably not in WCAG, but maybe
elsewhere?

For instance, it is not uncommon in Norway that people occasionally
braid single English words into their sentences. Or, I could be refering
from a Norwegian page to an article with only an English title.

So the argument would be that many people are not fluent in foreign
languages, and maybe also that mixing languages increases one's
cognitive load too much, and the reader might become confused. Thus,
this should be avoided.

However, after more than 15 years with user testing, I cannot recall to
have heard a single complaint about this.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks!

--
Best regards,
Till Halbach, seniorforsker / senior research scientist