Re: Clarifying WCAG 2.4.7 Focus Visible

As a mouse user, hover state is actually equivalent to what a keyboard user
gets with focus. This is a deep and tangled mess unfortunately - and for
touchscreens often even worse :(

On the core question, it is really helpful to know what is part of an
active component, if you click right now. For plain HTML stuff like links
or buttons, this comes from the cursor and while there are arguments to be
had about where responsibility lies for e.g. selecting cursor defaults,
user agents manage this. But for anything that *isn't* treated by the user
agent (e.g. "static" elements that actually have listeners on them) it
isn't obvious to a user what will happen if they click now, nor where the
boundaries are to a different thing, and "focus indicators" provide that
information.

I'd argue that they should be there - and that WCAG should make that clear.
And expect arguments between UX designers focused on actually interacting
with things, and layout designers focused on making things look clear and
nice. (Pun accidental).

cheers

On Friday, June 2, 2023 00:58:32 (+02:00), Patrick H. Lauke wrote:

 > On 01/06/2023 22:25, Kevin Prince wrote:
 > > As a sighted mouse-user a clear focus is required - that's often
provided only by the change of the pointer to a hand but it can be very
helpful to have more

 > You seem to be talking about hover state, not focus indication...

Chaals Nevile
Using Fastmail - it's worth it