Re: Focus indicators for grouped controls

On 17/10/2019 07:51, Giacomo Petri wrote:
> I think that in 1.4.11 SC what we are trying to define is called:
> “Focus and other states”
> State is defined as
> “Dynamic property expressing characteristics of a user interface component that may change in response to user action or automated process.
> States do not affect the nature of the component, but represent data associated with the component or user interaction possibilities. Example includes focus, hover, select, press, check, visited/unvisited, and expand/collapse.”
>
> Maybe we can include also the “active” state in this definition, differentiating the focus (intended as default focus), that might be also used in techniques not in its abstract concept, and other possible states.
>
> My concern is about the possible misunderstanding defininig focus as both default focus and other states.

I believe that if we, in the first instance, normatively (in the actual
guidelines, not in understanding) provide a definition of the
abstract/high-level concept of focus, we can then revisit the
non-normative explanations in the various SCs. In the case of 1.4.11,
where it lists "focus" as a state, I believe it does reference the more
abstract concept of focus - because regardless of whether we're talking
about the "default focus" (which I'm assuming you mean here as the
classic "which element has document.activeElement type focus") or a more
abstract focus (which element is referred to via aria-activedescendant,
or similar) - this is about the visual representation of that state.

Patrick H. Lauke