Re: New Topic: Audio and Video Compliance: Transcripts vs Closed Captions

Hello, All:

I would also note transcripts were treated separately from captions by
the HTML Accessibility Task Force in developing the Media Accessibility
User Requirements (MAUR)[1]

There are several reasons for the distinction, but not least is that
captions are expected to convey key data points about the aural
environment, not just a text representation of dialog.

Example: "A door slams." Or, "Two quick gunshots sound." ...

Would you expect this kind of annotation in a transcript? I think not,
but the community of people living with hearing impairments does expect
them.

Lastly, let me note that the W3C HTML 5 Working Group was unable to
reach consensus on a programatically mechanism for associating a
transcript with a primary media resource. As I recall the conversation
during a face to face meeting in 2013, we were asked to allow the
industry to innovate on that rather than to be perscriptive.

That was 6 years ago. Perhaps I've missed it, but I'm unaware of anyone
innovating on transcripts other than to publish a document which we're
told is a transcript for some resource through on screen text. On the
other hand, if we can take up exploring programmatic associations we
should be able to effectively navigate larger media resources, e.g. jump
fom scene to scene in a Shakespeare play video. Prototype approaches for
that level of association were proposed, but rejected.

Best,

Janina

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/media-accessibility-reqs/

--