From: Andrew Ly [mailto:andrew.ly19@gmail.com]
Sent: July-22-19 10:58 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: Failure of Success Criterion Question for F30 and F38

Hi,

I'm reaching out since my organization has been working on updating our policies to be fully AODA compliant and accessible for all audiences.

The success criterion around images has been rather specific and on our end and we wanted to get some clarification.

F30:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/failures/F30

Would it be considered a failure for this success criteria if alt text was present (describing the image to help search crawlers better understand the image), but the image is considered decorative and hidden (role="presentation", or aria-hidden="true" for screen readers)?

Alt text is typically used to help us better optimize our pages and content for search engines and by stripping it out completely across the majority of images being decorative could have a significant impact on our visibility overall.

F38:
https://www.w3.org/WAI/WCAG21/Techniques/failures/F38

In this criteria, only role="presentation" is identified as being the success criteria to mark up decorative images with to hide it from assistive technology.

Are other methods to (such as aria-hidden="true") valid for this criterion, or do we HAVE to use role="presentation" solely? We've tested aria-hidden="true" with multiple auditing tools and no issues were detected, but if the success criteria is taken literally, only role="presentation" is acceptable?

Thanks in advance!