RE: More data on accesskeys (New article written Nov. 1)

Alastair Campbell wrote:
> That has been proposed before, I can't find it now but I'm sure the
> used to be an article about it (on WATS.ca?). It also used to be
> implemented in Opera and Mozilla, but so few people used it I think
> it's hidden away now. (It's called the "navigation bar" in Opera
> under view > toolbars).

More than proposed, it is part of the HTML spec
[http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/types.html#type-links]

Opera still support this (and my good buddy Chaals would love if you started
using it/them), as does Lynx and some hand-held devices.  Sadly, while the
old Mozilla suite used to support this, it never carried through to Firefox.

> In it's included in the ARIA roadmap as the HTML equivalent to their
> main XHMTL path:
> http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-roadmap/#landmarks
> (Another reason I was confused about what you were suggesting.)
>
> One important distinction is that this would go to another page:
> <link rel="home" href="http://www.example.com/index.htm">

Actually, the relative link can be used for both internal page links as well
as external links.

> Whereas the landmarks in ARIA are aimed at navigating within a page:
> <link rel="x2:navigation" href="#bottomnav-links" title="Quick Links">
> http://www.w3.org/TR/aria-roadmap/#fig3
>
> So long as the definition of keys moves away from the web developer,
> I'll be happy...

You and me both!

JF