RE: Accessibility for Deaf

Everyone,
Let's drop the "deaf/dumb" description in the subject header.  This is
offensive to my community and harks back to those days when the general
population thought that we were dumb simply because we had a hearing loss.

But you should know that not only do people with hearing loss use text
telephones, but also people with speech disabilities.

And yes, sign language varies around the world.  For example, in the US we
can sign the alphabet with one hand whereas in Britain it requires two
hands.  Being literate in American Sign Language does not mean you are
literate in British Sign Language.  And being literate in ASL and BSL does
not mean you are literate in English - whether or not it is the Kings
English!

For this reason, I recommend you not use images and simply provide text
information about the phone number.  A direct TTD or TTY number can be a
sign (no pun intended) of quality customer service and if you have one, then
by all means publish this information on the web site.  If you do use
images, though, be sure they are accessible for people using screen readers.

Best regards,
Cynthia Waddell

--------------------------------------
Cynthia D. Waddell, JD
Executive Director and
Law, Policy and Technology Consultant
International Center for Disability Resources
   on the Internet (ICDRI)
Phone:  (408) 691-6921

ICDRI is based in
Raleigh, North Carolina USA
www.icdri.org/CynthiaW/cynthia_waddell.htm

See my new book!
Constructing Accessible Web Sites
www.icdri.org/constructing_accessible_web_site.htm

Is your Site Accessible?
Find out now with Cynthia Says! http://www.cynthiasays.com
Endorsed by the American Council of the Blind,
the Cynthia SaysTM portal is a joint Education
and Outreach project of ICDRI, The Internet
Society Disability and Special Needs Chapter,
and HiSoftware.