Re: Statistics on accessibility

Hi,

At 15:44 4/07/2005, Alice Good wrote:

>Does anyone know any sites that shows statistics on the different types of
>disabilities
>affecting accessibility, including the older population?  I have figures
>relating to the UK
>but can't seem to find much depicting the worldwide situation.

Earlier, I responded to Alice instead of to the list. I have found some
more references for Europe but not for the whole world. Gathering
supranational data would be difficult because the criteria for determining
disability are not the same in all countries (see "Definitions of
Disability in Europe: A Comparative Analysis" at
http://europa.eu.int/comm/employment_social/index/complete_report_en.pdf,
239 pages!).
You might find some world-wide demographics on UN Enable
(http://www.un.org/esa/socdev/enable/); I haven't checked that site.
The OECD Statistics Portal
(http://www.oecd.org/statsportal/0,2639,en_2825_293564_1_1_1_1_1,00.html)
links to, among other things, OECD Health Data that are kept up to date
(http://www.oecd.org/document/16/0,2340,en_2825_495642_2085200_1_1_1_1,00.html),
but they don't seem to gather data on disabilities. The page with links to
"Social Policy Related Sites"
(http://www.oecd.org/document/10/0,2340,en_2649_201185_2084362_1_1_1_1,00.html)
may be more useful.
Eurostat
(http://epp.eurostat.cec.eu.int/pls/portal/url/page/PGP_ESTAT_HOME_PAGE/PGE_HP_DYNAMIC)
has figures on "disability free life expectancy" but I am not aware of any
figures on specific disabilities.
The European Union has data on "prevalence of any chronic illness"
(http://europa.eu.int/comm/health/ph_information/dissemination/echi/echi_2_en.htm#21)
but these do not specify any specific disabilities.
You may also wish to consult the report on "The State of Mental Health in
the European Union"
(http://europa.eu.int/comm/health/ph_projects/2001/monitoring/fp_monitoring_2001_frep_06_en.pdf).
The report "Included in Society: Results and Recommendations of the
European Research Initiative on Community-Based Residential Alternatives
for Disabled People"
(http://europa.eu.int/comm/employment_social/index/socinc_en.pdf) provides
data on people with disabilities placed in large residential institutions.

--
Earlier message:

I don't know of any worldwide statistics that can be attributed to a
reliable source. I expected to find them on the web site of the World
Health Organization (http://www.who.int/en/) but you can search forever on
that site. The United Nations Statistics Division was going to start
collecting statistics this year
(http://unstats.un.org/unsd/demographic/sconcerns/disability/), but the
data I have found so far lump all disabilities together.
For Europe, you can find figures in "Access-Ability: Making technology more
useable by people with disabilities" by John Gill (2004) on the Tiresias
website (see
http://www.tiresias.org/guidelines/access-ability/Access-Ability.htm#demo;
a link to a PDF version is available at
http://www.tiresias.org/guidelines/access-ability/). The table with
percentages contains the same numbers as the table for the UK at
http://www.tiresias.org/guidelines/demographics.htm, but the percentage of
blind persons in the UK is apparently 0.4%, as opposed to 0.1% for Europe.

For the US, an older reference is
Laplante, M.P. (1991). The demographics of disability. In West, J. (Ed.),
The Americans with Disabilities Act: From policy to practice. New York:
Milbank Memorial Fund.
More recent figures should be available in the Harris Survey of Americans
with Disabilities
(http://www.nod.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Page.viewPage&pageID=31).
(Should you be interested in American Catholics (a minority in the US, as
in the UK), there are more recent data at
http://www.ncpd.org/demographics%20of%20disability.htm.)

Some people have argued that demographics/statistics should be used <ith
caution when making a business case for accessibility. See e.g.  Kevin
Carey's speech "e-Europe and e-Accessibility: the user perspective"
(http://forum.europa.eu.int/irc/DownLoad/kYesA3JEmZG0yX2QJD9FIuHx0tNHjrYqSpi_SRuqJ-C12QTu_wRp12b1jtru5Rm9wVfNR-RN2IZ3rIP/TCAM-CAPD%2009%20eAccessibility_user_perspective.htm)
and his "Notes on the demographics of disability and the www"
(http://www.humanity.org.uk/articles/pr_demographics.shtml).

Regards,

Christophe Strobbe

--