Re: Possible problem with Fahrner Image Replacement

On Tuesday, July 15, 2003, 3:26:35 AM, Joe Clark wrote:
> There is, however, the problem that screen readers are yoked to
> visual browsers and inherit their stylesheet interpretations.
> {display: none} really means {display: none}, and the treatment of
> visibility: hidden is unclear.

Easily fixed, just don't hide the text - move it out the way:

  <h1 class="wai"><span>Web Accessibility Initiative</span></h1>

  .wai {
    background-image: url(http://www.w3.org/Icons/wai);
    width: 212px;
    height: 48px;
    overflow: hidden;
  }

  .wai span {
    display: block;
    padding-top: 48px;
  }

...although I'm still trying to work out a way to do it with just one
element.

--
Tom Gilder, http://tom.me.uk/
 Blog! http://blog.tom.me.uk/