Re: Date & number format

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Gemayel, Ziad wrote:

well I always just put a hypen in the question   ie:  yyyy-mm-dd  or phone
# ***-***-****

and let the user replace the * or yy with the number, thus it always
shows.

Bob

> Hi everyone,
>
> I am trying to gather feedback regarding two ways of requesting dates and
> phone numbers.  I think it is more of a usability issue than an
> accessibility issue and probably personal preferences are involved.
>
> First style:
> Date (example: mmddyyyy) [       ]
> Phone (example: 2121234567) [        ]
>
> This format requires input in one field with no spaces and no punctuation.
> It also means less tabbing, but may be confusing to some and thus lead to
> errors.
>
> Second style:
> Date (example: mm dd yyyy) (enter month as mm)* [  ]  (enter day as dd)* [
> ]  (enter year as yyyy)* [    ].  The * here means that the text is not
> visible, but is placed in the title attribute and therefore is available to
> Jaws and Window-Eyes users (I understand that I might be undermining
> universal accessibility by considering only Jaws and Window-eyes, but I
> would like to focus on the issue of having one input field versus three in
> this case).
>
> Phone (enter area code)* [  ]  (enter first 3 digits)* [  ]  (enter last 4
> digits)* [  ].  Again, the * here means that the text is not visible, but is
> placed in the title attribute.
>
> Thanks for your feedback,
>
> Ziad Gemayel
> The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential.
> It is intended for the named recipient(s) only.
> If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager or  the
> sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to anyone or make copies.
>
> ** eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content **

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety",    Benjamin Franklin
    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net