From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Dona Patrick
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2003 7:34 AM
To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
Subject: How we talk to each other here

This list has been very helpful in many ways.  Many members are highly
knowledgeable in the field of accessibility and the comments they
provide are usually quite useful.  Of course this is to be expected from
a list run by the W3C.  It is humbling and exciting to see posts from
leaders in the field of web accessibility.

I know that many email lists have issues with people being rude and
unkind.  It seems it is simply the nature of lists.  Whenever you have
large groups of people who may never meet each other discussing topics
about which they are passionate, you will have a few who don't seem to
take other people's feelings into consideration when replying.

A few days ago I asked a question and received one kind and helpful
response (thank you Al) and two responses that made me decide that I
will never ask this list another question.  I will take my questions to
other lists that I know to be more forgiving.  This morning I read a
message that contained a sentence that was rude and completely
unnecessary.  The world is filled with too much incivility as it is.
One would hope that a list dedicated to helping all people easily use
the World Wide Web would be a kinder place to learn.

Thank you to those of you who have been helpful in a civil manner and
thank you to all who have been brave enough to ask questions I have been
wondering about.  I will most likely read the archives from now on.

Sincerely,

Dona Patrick