Fw: WebCT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Adrian Higginbotham" <a.higginbotham@SALFORD.AC.UK>
To: <EASI@MAELSTROM.STJOHNS.EDU>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 4:53 AM
Subject: Re: WebCT

as others have said the chat facility isn't accessible but this isn't
just a
webCT problem I've yet to find a truly accessible web based chat
interface,
some are better than others but non are as easy as dedicated chat
software
such as instant messaging systems like MSN or true irc clients like Mirc
or
MS chat.

the discussion boards in webCT aren't wonderful but they are better than
those in BlackBoard (another VLE suite).

not sure which level of webCT out institution uses but the Email system
is
web based and while it is accessible this makes it much slower than real
client based Email.

many of the internal navigation links within webCT are java script so
may be
problematic for old screen readers but not for the current generation.
the java script links do mean you can't open their targets in a new
window
which is a strategy some people use so as not to lose their place in the
original document.

again as someone already said the access to a course in webCT depends
largely on the accessibility of the html content uploaded.

My institution is currently deciding wether to stick with and upgrade
BlackBoard or move to webCT and I've been doing some access comparisons
but
as my access to webCT is dependant on being able to beg access to otehr
peoples courses in other institutions I too would be grateful for
anyones
experiences.

Adrian Higginbotham
ODL