Java (Re: deque systems?)

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, David Poehlman wrote:

> Hi all, I am curious about something that I have run across.
> http://www.deq.com
> states on their page that they run in pure java and at the same time,
> they also state that they are accessible to individuals with
> disabilities.

Without looking, I can see one plausible explanation.  "Pure Java" is
a technical term, and could refer to the Java component of a system
that has an entirely accessible non-Java alternative at the website.

>	  Has anyone tried this out with an appropriate screen
> reader

Not I.

>	since java support seems close to nill?

Do you mean assistive technologies you know of don't support Applets?
It should be possible to get text content from standard display components
such as those of the AWT or Swing toolkits - eg using the Java reflexion
API - but that is indeed a harder task than getting it from markup.

IMO, any website that uses Java falls into one of three categories:
  (1) The Java is itself (part of) the purpose of the site.
  (2) The site offers functionality or content that is inherently
      less accessible than text-based markup.
  (3) The site is misusing Java.

--
Nick Kew