Re: Minimal Browser Capabilities

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, Kynn Bartlett wrote:

> At 11:55 PM +0100 12/26/01, Tina Marie Holmboe wrote:
>
> It's not THAT hard to figure out that Lynx doesn't MAGICALLY become
> a good browser just because other browsers also suck!

I don't anyone says Lynx is a "good" browser however you define "good"

> The old rules are limited, however, and are based on an understanding
> of the web when the web was 5 years younger.

is anything magical about the "5 year" line you keep drawing???  I have
been using what passes for the internet since 1975 (Univac 1108
mainframe) we've come a long way but while I doubt we need to support that
old Univac where do we draw the line at what we support.

> Once again -- why am I continually having to disclaim my statements?
> -- Lynx isn't a bad application for what it does, and I like it and use
> it regularly, but it's at best a limited HTML viewer.  Why are so many
> people afraid of facing the limitations of this particular sacred

understanding the reasons for the limitations is more important than any
particular browser.  I personally would set a standard more performance
based.

as a trial balloon and I am sure I am overlooking something whatever this
baseline is should be able to be viewed by

. any 8086 computer or higher, running any version of Dos.
. any Mac OS
. any comparable "command line" OS
. free, public and supported
. not require a PPP connection to the web

???? too basic ???

Bob

    NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail                   accessys@smartnospam.net
THIS message and any attachements are CONFIDENTIAL and may be
privledged.  They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named
above. If you are not the intended recipient, Please notify the sender as
soon as possible. Please DO NOT READ, COPY, USE, or DISCLOSE this
communication to others and DELETE it from your computer systems.  Thanks