[w3c-wai-ig] <none>

om>
Subject: Re: What instead of click here?
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 13:48:55 -0000

David Poehlman:
> I should have finished reading your message.  I understand and agree
> with your points and even agree with them as I wrote my first thoughts.
> My quibble though has always been the assumption that everyone has and
> or can get the fancy tools.

> Follow this link" was an example.  There
> are other ways to accomplish the same thing and I don't mind if I go to
> a page with jaws and hear "follow this link...link".

I do mind though, well I find it very difficult to use my links list,
when every link starts "follow this link", or contains information that's
already inherent in the link, it's a list of links, I know what they are
going do.

> If someone has trouble with this extra bit of orientation, perhaps they
> need to be educated in how to use their browser.

There's no way I can modify my browser to remove that extra information,
it's not intelligent enough to understand and change the text, you could
change your UA to add the orientation (and I'll freely help anyone who
wants to modify IE to do this or anything else.)

> Try using ie 4.01 with
> jaws 3.5 which is where a large persentage of jaws users are at and
> likely to be at for quite some time

Is there some reason why they don't upgrade to an appropriate IE5etc?
Security considerations alone mean you should not be using IE other than
a few heavily patched/bugfixed versions.

In any case does IE4.01 and Jaws 3.5 really have a problem with.
"Michelle is an experienced health professional, [ask Michelle about your
health problem]."
rather than (if I read your intentions right)
"Michelle is an experienced health professional. [Follow this link to ask
Michelle about your health problem]

Jim.