Re: Self-voicing browsers

At 10:27 AM 10/14/1999 -0400, Bruce Bailey wrote:
>Dear Anne P., Jonathan C, et al.,
>
>A while back there was discussion on this list about how to best make web
>pages accessible to non-readers.  I would be most interested in hearing if
>any the products below have been useful for general purpose web browsing by
>persons with severe cognitive impairments.
>
>I have summarized the screen readers and special purpose browsers that were
>suggested, along with my experience.

Bruce,
	Sorry for being so long replying to your request. I've been busy with a
homeschooling project, and being called out of retirement to teach a
computer class to Kindergarteners thru 2nd graders in a local school.

	I am getting frustrated trying to find web content an 8 yo can use without
someone reading it to him, and dismayed by the lack of illustrations with
usable text. I had to create web pages for him on the intro to "Ancient
Civilizations" and we've found a nice software that is letting him learn
the basics of several ancient civilizations, content I found at too high a
level (and lacking illustrations) on the web. I'm considering getting a
speech setup for either his computer at home, or mine where he spends a lot
of online time. Reading thru your analysis of the web browsers, only the
last seems of potential use. I'll see if I can get the demo and test it
with Taylor, and let you know how it works. If that one doesn't allow
Taylor to see and hear the whole page at the same time, it won't meet the
needs of cognitively disabled persons with text-limitations or reading
disabilities.

						Anne P.
Anne L. Pemberton
http://www.pen.k12.va.us/Pav/Academy1