Re: Unsecured connections

At 04:29 p.m. 11/23/98 -0500, Jamie Fox wrote:
>Of course you're only likely to get pretty good privacy (PGP) most of the
>time however, some privacy is better than a plain text message broadcast to
>the world with credit card information.  The refusal by CTA to allow
>unsecured internet transactions both limits their liability and acts
>paternalistically to protect individuals from credit card fraud.

Note that it increases their ADA liability, though.

>This seems
>analogous to a public agency encouraging citizens to walk alone in dark
>alleys at night.  It is inviting robbery.  The government has an obligation
>not to invite citizens into unnecessarily dangerous situations both personal
>and financial.

How secure is the CTA machine receiving the credit card information?
How can you make a statement that the SSL transaction is "more
secure" without knowing more about what happens to the information
once it's received?

>[Military service is a special case]  What I'm getting at is
>that even though this site may not be not fully accessible due the
>requirement of SSL transactions for purchases this is both necessary and
>acceptable.

To who?  (Besides you, obviously.)

--
Kynn Bartlett  <kynn@idyllmtn.com>             http://www.idyllmtn.com/~kynn/
Chief Technologist & Co-Owner, Idyll Mountain Internet; Fullerton, California