    From: w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-wai-ig-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Robert Neff
    Sent: Tuesday, September 01, 1998 5:45 PM
    To: w3c-wai-ig@w3.org
    Cc: susan.brummel@gsa.gov; karl.hebenstreit@gsa.gov;
dnickerson@vdacs.state.va.us
    Subject: WAI and govt contracts

    WAI:  I am interested to know if there are any solicitations for WEB
services from the US (DoD or Federal Agency), State or Local governments
that require compliance with the American Disabilties Act, discuss universal
accessibility, or WAI?  Seems to me that if we are asking for compliance
(without standards) then we should be educating and pushing the Government
Procurement personnel, such as the Contracting Office and Project Managers.

    In reality, we know its a requirement, but until we educate the people
that write the government solicitations, progress will be slowed. The
Contracting Officers are the ones that we need to target for education and
the best way to accomplish this goal is to provide guidance. Basically, help
them write it (so to speak).

    Has the WAI addressed this?

    Please note that Susan and Karl are with GSA's Center for IT
Accommodation (CITA).  Susan is the Director.

    Susan (or Karl): Do you know if this has been addressed?

    /rob