HTML 4.0 as a standard !

Maybe I'm looking at HTML from a more practical distance.
What I would prefer for a descriptive language as HTML is:
- have elements for certain things a designer needs
- have equivalent attributes in all elements each with its specific
  use and of course always the same attribute for the same use.

In fact this means ALL elements have ALL attributes with the same
use (relevant or not). It is typical for a historically grown
language to have different attribute in each element each coverring
some or some other target.
I would be happy if the HTML 4.0 would avoid this problem by simply
standardizing atrribute defniitons and give them to ALL elements
(where useful).

Daniel wrote:
> I don't think adding a TOOL-TIP attributes will help in the long run,
> since I think they're too close to each other, and content providers
> will either use it or use ALT, but not both, and in the end, it
> will become a replacement for ALT, under a new name.

It is funny how the same argument can bring completely opposite
conclusions: ALT and TOOL_TIP will cover different needs so
they can exist both and next to each other and hold differend texts.

The only reason ALT is miss-used (see Al's message) is that there
is no nice attribute for the "tool tip" so therefore they
took ALT; thanks to the big browser manufacturers !

Why e.g. is there no ALT in the OBJECT element?
We do need it there to don't we?

Best regards,
Jaap

Message from: Jaap van Lelieveld      The Netherlands
              Chairman of EBU commission on Technical Devices and Services
E-mail:       Jaap.van.Lelieveld@inter.nl.net

USING: YARN V0.92 as an offline reader, and
       UQWK / OLMENU under UNIX for mail and news transfer