Re: Web site questions: #2

At 2004-04-29 13:47, you wrote:

>2. Quote on WAI home page
>
>The current WAI home page (http://www.w3.org/WAI/) has in a prominent
>top position this quote: "The power of the Web is in its universality.
>Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect." --
>Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web
>
>"Screen real estate" is extremely valuable on the home page, especially
>above the fold. The quote doesn't say what WAI is about or what the site
>is about. It does lend credibility.
>
>Question: Should this quote be: a. on the WAI home page above the fold,
>b. on the WAI home page below the fold, c. not on home page (on another
>page, such as Introduction to Web Accessibility or About WAI).
>
>===

I have always liked that quote.  Now that Tim is back in the worldwide news
with his recent honour of the Millennium Technology Prize it seems a good
idea to keep the reminder of his feelings on the site - the home page seems
right to me.  I sometimes wish the year he made the quote was included in
the citation --  I believe it was in 1997 for the WCAG 1.0 release.  I
suggest this because people keep reprinting the quote and on one occasion I
have seen it dated as if Tim just said it this year.

Also, for clarification, by "above the fold" do you mean "on the first
screen-page" (i.e. before scrolling)?

If so, I think it should remain "above the fold".

Regards,
Chuck Letourneau
Starling Access Services