Re: Survey on publishers for ISWC [responses welcome]

Hi Dan,

On 2024-01-16 12:55, Dan Brickley wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Jan 2024 at 15:02, Aidan Hogan <aidhog@gmail.com
> <mailto:aidhog@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     The following survey aims to better understand the incentives within
>     our
>     community with respect to publishing, and how the publications of
>     researchers in the community are valued around the world.
>
>     It is targetted at those who have published papers in the likes of
>     ISWC/ESWC and/or that intend to publish there in future.
>
>     It should take no more than 5 minutes:
>
>     https://forms.gle/twhGy2wyKyayQWVXA
>     <https://forms.gle/twhGy2wyKyayQWVXA>
>
>     Your response would be greatly appreciated!
>

> Not to casually request scope creep, but…
>

> … it would also be interesting to understand the inventives around those
> community members who work with Semantic Web technologies but who don’t
> publish through ISWC/ESWC or similar. Does posting on blogs, twitter,
> github meet similar or different needs? Is scholarly peer review
> intimidating, offputting, or just not needed in some career paths?

Agreed it would be interesting! The current survey arises from a very
specific context and the need to generate data in order to better answer
a very specific question, so the role of blogs, twitter, etc., is a
little out of scope. My two cents is that blogs et al. play an important
role, and perhaps could play a more important role in future (based on
how A.I. in particular is increasingly using non-peer-reviewed arXiv
papers to disseminate breaking results). There are some key issues with
scholarly peer review that I think are being addressed too slowly, but I
think that's another discussion and a different survey. :)

Best,
Aidan