Re: W3C position on URIs http:// vs. https://

po 19. 6. 2023 v 13:10 odesílatel Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org> napsal:

> On Thu, 15 Jun 2023 at 00:38, Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org> wrote:
>
>> I'd argue that if schema's were used and dereferenced often, this would
>> already all be solved many years ago.
>>

> Quite. RDF is in many ways close to something that would in other settings
> be called “schema less”. By having a solid general pattern for data, and
> reassurances about computing with partial information, you can get many
> tasks done without fetching any RDFS. There is still value in *having* a
> design, but the design is used up from rather than consulted at runtime.
> OWL can also be seen from this perspective— as a kind of super fancy
> “javadoc” used to bring some order and discipline to the documentation of
> graph data.
>
> When using RDF in the wild it almost always needs tidying up, filtering,
> cleaning, normalizing before use in serious applications. Within those
> steps, tidying up a few http: -> https mappings is amongst the most trivial
> of challenges.
>
> The reason btw Schema.org serves the same json-ld context with/without TLS
> is that we never wanted our adoption of JSON-LD to accidentally turn the
> site into a piece of critical software infrastructure. It is now totally
> statically served, including that context file. If JSON-LD had a thing we
> could put in there to express a migration intent from http to https so that
> willing modern parsers could be nudged towards https triples, that could be
> worth exploring.

The missing piece is that allows schemas in RDF to evolve over time, in a
web scale way.  Git commits are not enough, nor is rdf star.  What is
needed is web states, super commits and web scale version control.  Such
technology doesnt exist today, but will in a few years.  Band aid solutions
applies to json-ld will take a while to get upstream (json-ld 1.2 first)
and is possibly added technical debt.