Re: W3C position on URIs http:// vs. https://

It was & is a mistake to use URLs as semantic identities beyond 'this is
the HTTPS endpoint for X'.

It is fine to use HTTPS-like URLs as the basis for URIs, and in fact
secure proof of authority / control / security can be done relative to
those URIs and HTTPS a la Let's Encrypt.  But the protocol used should
be flexible, potentially dynamic & diverse, and something that could be
mapped.

As a simple proposal:

Add date (some resolution of ISO date format), at least year, to a
URL-like URI references.  Then support a URI mapping mechanism, with
some degree of authority, that can map a reference to a current URL or
URLs and potentially updated URI.

I have long thought about this for phone numbers and other things: Your
phone number + year likely uniquely identifies you, regardless of how
many others have your phone number before and after you.

This provides a way to have a stable proliferation of identifiers /
identities, while not requiring that the current state of the web be
stable forever.  Companies close, researchers & projects change
universities, people die, etc.  We need a clean, efficient resilient
system for at least the most important things.  The Internet Archive,
Wikipedia, Library of Congress, and others are likely repositories.

This would have solved the HTTP->HTTPS transition.  And it could be used
for WSS, Webtransport, messaging systems in general (kafka et al), etc.
While HTTPS is a great baseline, it is not appropriate or competitive
for everything.  Distributed web systems, for instance, will operate
much differently, but could easily handle URI resolving.

We can use browser plugins, reverse proxies for application servers, and
other methods to adapt existing software.  But we should start building
software that is a lot more resilient.

Stephen

--

*Stephen D. Williams*
Founder: VolksDroid, Blue Scholar Foundation