Re: W3C position on URIs http:// vs. https://

I think it's important for the semantic web community to communicate
clearly, simply, unambiguously, and non-dogmatically when it comes to this
issue.

While I agree with many points in the TimBL article, the ship has long
sailed. I can't show that article to web developers who are asking me why
we don't change our PURLs to https, because chrome refuses to allow
downloads of them when linked from an https site. They don't understand why
we are reluctant to change, because frankly using URLs for identifiers was
a pretty odd thing to do in the first place, mixing two separate concerns
(semantic identity and network protocols). Browsers and http libraries can
happily treat http and https as equivalent, but this is obviously a massive
problem for semantic web interoperability.

The lack of guidance has led to confusion. For example, it looks like
schema.org is in some superposition state where http or https is considered
canonical for semantic identifiers.

https://github.com/solid/solid-namespace/issues/21
https://github.com/linkeddata/rdflib.js/issues/550

We are faced with this problem in the OBO community, we adopted http PURLs
for both OWL classes and OWL ontologies around 15 years ago, rejecting
URN-based LSIDs. We are now faced with the situation where things are
breaking as various pieces of web infrastructure start making life for http
difficult.

We tried reading
https://www.w3.org/blog/2016/05/https-and-the-semantic-weblinked-data/
But the advice about URI and HSTS is hard to follow for a bunch of
ontologists. We just want to make useful ontologies, and not be forced to
be network engineers.

Our discussion and eventual decisions are recorded here, if it's useful
(and comments welcome if we are doing things incorrectly):

https://github.com/OBOFoundry/purl.obolibrary.org/issues/705

1. Our infrastructure supports both https and http URLs, for both terms and
ontologies, these both 302 redirect to the relevant browser or download
(using cloudflare)
2. We encourage web sites that need to link to an ontology download to use
the https URLs in HTML, but to make it clear that the *PURL is the http
URI, and the http PURL *must* be used in RDF documents*
3. Even though we support https variants of http PURLs for OWL classes,
with both 302 redirecting to the same location,* we strongly discourage
their use in any context,* because this can lead to confusion about the
canonical URL to use in RDF/OWL documents. We don't want to end up in the
schema.org situation. We are building lots of tooling that will check for
cases where https is used accidentally in a linked data context, as we
expect this to happen a lot.

This has been sufficient to placate frustrated web developers, but it feels
like we are delaying the inevitable and that there will one day be pressure
to deprecate our http PURLs and switch to https. This would have a massive
cost in terms of rewiring massive distributed troves of RDF data and OWL
documents, database tables, and a highly painful, long, and confusing
transition period. But we are hoping that this day never comes or we can
delay it as long as possible, or LLMs will make the whole thing irrelevant.