Re: functions of rdfs:isDefinedBy

On Fri, 2022-10-14 at 18:59 +0200, Christian Chiarcos wrote:

> > [PMcB} Ok, fair enough. It does make me wonder what's the value of
> > stating that *anything* has a range of 'rdfs:Resource' then
> >

> [CC] This is the RDF 1.0 way of saying "not a Literal". Since the
> introduction of rdfs:Literal, this is pointless, indeed.

This is not the case.

From https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-mt/

A simple interpretation I of a vocabulary V is defined by:

1. A non-empty set IR of resources, called the domain or universe of I.

5. A mapping IL from typed literals in V into IR.

6. A distinguished subset LV of IR, called the set of literal values,
which contains all the plain literals in V

and much later

IR = ICEXT(I(rdfs:Resource))

So resources include literals and the class extension of rdfs:Resource
is the set of resources.

The triple :p rdfs:range rdfs:Resource is not vacuous, as ranges cannot
be inferred in RDFS, but it does not have

peter