Re: Request for feedback about RDF-star

onsdag 24. mars 2021 10.20.44 CET skrev Pierre-Antoine Champin:
> We aim to mint a new
> IRI to be used with RDF-star. In your opinion, is it
> acceptable/desirable to propose its inclusion in the RDF namespace [3],
> or should we instead mint it in a separate namespace?

Good question! Here's my personal take:

First of all, I note that there exists a TAG finding on a similar question:
https://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/namespaceState.html
It encourages the authors of the namespace document to declare how they
expect the namespace to evolve. It does not seem that the RDF namespace
document does this, which is understandable, since the original RDF syntax
recommendation predates that TAG finding.

However, as Ora seems to be indicating the RDF Syntax Spec says:
https://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-syntax-grammar/#section-Namespace

"Any other names are not defined and SHOULD generate a warning when
encountered, but should otherwise behave normally.", which seems to
indicate that the expectation is that the names is a fixed set.

I recall that the we went through some pains as the SKOS namespace changed
in the last moments of the spec work, so there is some precedent for that
too. I think it all went fine even though I had to change it in code that
were in customer's hands.

I would tend to agree that the new name seems to belong in the rdf:
namespace, I would be in favor of it being added there eventually.

Still the question remains as to what a CG should do, it could do the
guerrilla tactics and use the rdf: namespace from the start (I wouldn't be
offended), but given the RDF Syntax Rec's rather clear expectation, I think
it is appropriate to wait.

My suggestion is to mint a URI outside of the rdf: namespace, but make it
clear in any notes or WDs that it is expected that it will change. Then, I
think that the issue should be settled by a WG shortly before the
publication of the Candidate Recommendation, as the CR is also a
solicitation of implementations beyond the WG. In the interest of URI
Persistence, it is appropriate that it is fixed by the time the world beyond
the WG is asked to take note.

Cheers,

Kjetil