Re: Blank nodes must DIE! [ was Re: Blank nodes semantics - existential variables?]

+1

My rule of thumb is that you only use a literal as the object of a small number of particular sorts of predicate, which will have names such as foo:label or foo:date or foo:hasValue.
If there is any indication in the predicate you are using that tells you what sort of literal it is (such as budget in your example), then the object should be a resource that has the literal as a property.

> On 8 Jul 2020, at 02:41, Thomas Passin <tpassin@tompassin.net> wrote:

> What I have seen time and again in modeling is that you start out thinking you can use a simple literal value, but later you find it needs to become a composite.  Say you are modeling a project.  It has a budget, and that's just a number, a literal value.  But soon you need it to have a capital improvement component and a maintenance component, and you find you also need it split out into quarterly segments.  Your nice simple literal has become a complicated construction.
>
> So you might as well plan on that happening, to make it easy when it does.
>
> TomP

Hugh
023 8061 5652