Re: HTTPS and the Semantic Web

Hello Phil,

I am writing this from an italian holiday flat where I have to login into
the unencrypted WLAN with a username/password pair using a browser. And of
course, most websites are HTTPS nowadays so I have to deliberately call an
unencrypted web site first to log on.

It's a PITA and my unencrypted traffic is broadcasted to the neighbourhood, so
I asked the owner: Why not use a regularly updated WPA password instead of
using an expensive WLAN accounting system?

The answer was: It is required by law that every website I visit is tracked
and saved with my username so that law enforcement can trace it back to me.
I have doubts concerning this claim but let's take it for granted.

What have I gained through HTTPS with regard to www.w3.org? Instead of being
able to know that I visited

 www.w3.org/blog/2016/05/https-and-the-semantic-weblinked-data/

law enforcement now "only" can know about a HTTPS session to
hans-moleman.w3.org.

Hans Moleman? Sounds subversive. Maybe I would have to explain that in another
country :-)

What am I driving at? Having to rewrite all my SPARQL queries in the future to
account for HTTP *and* HTTPS versions of the same URI because "HTTP is
insecure" would feel a bit kafkaesque.

Regards,

Michael Brunnbauer

--