Re: Test of Independent Invention: RDF

On 2015-04-27, Melvin Carvalho wrote:

> Looking at the past, present and future, what is the state of RDF in
> the Test of Independent Invention?
>
> IMHO, Linked data mainly passes the test. There may be some minor nits
> over blank nodes or lists etc.

Does it pass the market test, though?

All of this Semantic Web stuff has existed for a while now. One would
expect that there is a company or consortium out there which has made
1-10 million bucks applying technology, which couldn't have been without
the Semantic Web.

Is there one, or preferably a hundred as the usual laws of the free
market would lead us to expect?

> Typical web 2.0 APIs dont initially pass the test, but can be webized
> to do so.

"Can be 'webized'." Yes, but do they? Not as a hypothetical, but using
SemWeb tech as an essential part of a solution to a real life problem? I
don't see that happening. Or do you? Is there a killer app in one of the
prominent app stores which utilizes RDF or one of the other SemWeb
technologies in an essential way, and rakes in substantial income,
proving the tech is worth it?

> So that means the semantic web will start small but grow to assimilate
> the more useful systems to become part of the TOII.

The semantic web started out small at about when RDF Model and Syntax
was ratified. In 1999, with Ora and Ralph at the sticks. Now it's
slightly over 16 years later, and we're still talking about "starting
small and the growing to assimilate".

No self-respecting startup would go there. If it doesn't hit it in 1-3
years, rather obviously it's born dead. Especially if it's born fully in
the Nets/Webs.

> Some rival may emerge to the sem web, but I cant see anything on the
> horizon right now

Why not jump the ship and develop one? Take everything that's good in
the current semweb work, ditch all that is bad (especially any XML/W3C
burden/formal logic burden), and then just run with it? Using a single,
simple application as the test bed?
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - decoy@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front
+358-40-3255353, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2