Re: Algorithm evaluation on the complete LOD cloud?

Here is my take.

The "Complete LOD cloud" is a stand-in for "any large collection of poorly
organized RDF data."  If you believe that RDF is a good model for
representing other sorts of data, you could imagine that some big
organization like Citibank or the U.S. Military has a large number of
different divisions that have all sorts of data of various quality.  In
fact if I look at all the files I have on my SOHO network you could say the
same is true for individuals and small biz too.

Then the right question to ask is "What Methods would one use to
characterize such a data set with little prior knowledge?"

That is a carefully chosen phrase.  @Gannon rails against frequentism, and
there are a number of ways to reach a similar conclusion,  such as

* the "grounding problem" in classical semantics
* the fact that any useful or interesting semantic system has to do
something or other that is competitive with some way of doing something
that is better in some way (i.e. if you don't know where you are going you
are going to wind up nowhere)

Also I find the "no special hardware requirements" thing to be strange,
 probably because it ought to be defined in terms of "I have a machine with
these specific specifications".  For instance,  if you had a machine with
32GB of RAM (which is pretty affordable if you don't pay OEM prices) you
could load a billion triples into a triple store.  If your machine is a
hand-me-down laptop from a salesman who couldn't sell that has just 4GB of
RAM you are in a very different situation.

--
Paul Houle

*Applying Schemas for Natural Language Processing, Distributed Systems,
Classification and Text Mining and Data Lakes*

(607) 539 6254    paul.houle on Skype   ontology2@gmail.com
https://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup
<http://legalentityidentifier.info/lei/lookup>