Re: RDF Thrift : A binary format for RDF data

On 18/08/14 07:53, Axel Polleres wrote:
> On 18 Aug 2014, at 08:50, Axel Polleres <axel@polleres.net> wrote:
>
>> Hi Andy,
>>
>> This looks very interesting! Any thoughts already on how this relates to/could be combined with HDT [1,2]?

That's about it.  They are just different things for different usages.

How much is HDT used for real?  By whom?  I couldn't find HDT files.

> Sorry, overlooked the later mail in this thread... will check. The p.s. below still holds, though. ;-)

W3C has strengths and weaknesses.

It is good as a place to combine different/related/competing work; it is
good when there is a need and no answer on the table.

It is bad at formalising a single existing (small) peice of technology.
  WG add features as compromises.  If the focus is small, a lot of extra
cruft can get added, a lot of other agendas piggyback on the WG (see the
shapes WG as a good example of this effect).

I think it is better for the community to refine something as simple as
RDF Thrift.  Implementation is of the order of 100 lines of code + a
thrift compiler (that someone else wrote - Thrift is big in Big Data).

(I happened to also rewire bits Jena to be streaming - I'm intersted in
scalable processing ATM.  Must of the Jena "implementation" is nothing
to do RDF Thrift - it's a bunch of reworking internals for stream
processing that have been on the cards for a while now.)

	Andy