Re: SPIN prospects

On 1/31/2013 13:38, Paul Tyson wrote:
> Perhaps the W3C folks will take note and reconsider whether SPIN
> should be tied to RIF future, or if it might have a useful place
> alongside SPARQL (regardless of how RIF fares).

My impression is that RIF isn't going anywhere and adding SPIN into the
mix may bloat it further while making SPIN appear more complicating than
it really is. But parts of SPIN can be readily attached to the SPARQL
spec, especially the comparably small vocabulary to add new SPARQL
functions (which we and our customers use a lot, because it makes SPARQL
snippets reusable and thus leads to much more maintainable query
libraries.) Unlike with SPIN rules, there also isn't much to debate
about the semantics of those functions, avoiding potential fights with
the logic camp.

Holger