Re: Conference copyright policy versus the web and scientific progress [was Re: CfP Web Semantics (WebS) 2010]

I fully agree with David's remarks...
I was able to negotiate with Springer that SWSA be able to make the
papers of the entire ISWC conference series (from 2006 onwards) freely
available on the web (while still maintaining Springer's paid service,
SpringerLink). These can be accessed as Linked Data on
data.semanticweb.org.
A similar policy has been in place for even longer for the WWW
conference series.
  I encourage everybody who is organizing events around the Semantic Web
(and not only...) to use this service - the nickname for this site, for
those who don't yet know, is "Dogfood Server", guess why ;-).

It was not easy, but after a firm threat to move the ICWS conference to
IEEE CS press (which DID allow that, apparently different from the
parent IEEE Press, which is separate), they agreed. As
conference/workshop chairs, we should take a stronger stand on these issues.

Cheers
Daniel

--

Daniel Schwabe