Re: CURIEs in Turtle

On 5 Feb 2010, at 16:58, Eric Prud'hommeaux <eric@w3.org> wrote:

> * Dave Beckett <dave@dajobe.org> [2010-02-04 06:12-0800]
>> (replying to the latest msg in this thread)
>>
>> Jeremy Carroll wrote:
>>>
>>> ?s?o:n1.?s2?p2:n2 as a single CURIE
>>>
>>> ?s?o:n1. ?s2?p2:n2
>>
>> OK, that's line noise.  Turtle should be readable and this is why
>> whitespace
>> is a good idea to sometimes mandate or VERY strongly suggest.  The
>> turtle
>> spec doesn't say that very well and the sparql spec does let you
>> get away
>> with this.  I'm tempted to make mandatory spaces between components
>> now.
>
> I don't think there's good ROI on chasing down and eliminating paths
> that could allow unpleasantly terse expression. I'd favor backward-
> compatibility and compatibility with SPARQL instead. I'd say forward-
> compatibility is less of an issue as folks frequently rev their SemWeb
> tools.

Evidence for this optimistic claim?

The Web is littered with partial and half finished implementations of
W3C specs, some frozen, abandoned or just very slowly in-progress. You
naturally talk to the more commited and engaged developers more (as do
I). But there's a lot out there on a different pace.

Cheers

Dan