Re: indoor / interior ontology

Hi Alexander:

Philipp asked for an ontology for a topic. You said: "Try my tool." I
said "Your tool gives bad advice when used for a task similar to
Philipp's".

No matter what the real aim of your ontology repository is, you
suggested to use it for finding a suitable ontology. And I say that
when someone searches for concepts readily defined in broadly adopted,
valid Web ontologies, then your tool should return those. In 3 of 3
tests, your tool fails to give good results.

We find promotions of tools frequently on this list, and it is
perfectly okay to bring in your own work into a suitable discussion.
But then again please accept my frank comment that sending someone to
try the search function of your repository for finding a suitable
ontology for a given topic is BAD advice.

My criticism will likely hold for the search functionality in many
other ontology repositories.

Part of the problem of Semantic Web research is that immature bits and
pieces of a potential solution are advertised as if they were a
solution to a given problem. Then potential adopters try, fail, and
are lost for the vision of the Semantic Web.

We may all be and all have been sinners in this sense over the past
decade, but it is crucial to stop and convert.

Best

Martin