Re: FaceBook taking over the web, and semantic web

Dan and Matthew

There must be an alternative to FaceBook, without all the restrictions and proprietary formats and ties to third parties.

If it does not exist it must be built. Millions of open source coders out there.

Several organizations have asked us in the past if an open access open source alternative to the FaceBook functionality could be created.

How about creating a global open source code coop to develop such an alternative?

Dozens of business models out there to make money. If we just consider the following
- Usability on Blackberry, Eclipse and Android platforms
- Open Feeds to other Social Networks
- Linked Data standards for meta data encoding
- Interfacing capability with Google functionality
- External Formats Compatibility e.g. for professional networks like LinkedIn
- Feature Import for Email Providers like Yahoo!, Gmail

Most of features on FaceBook are a nuisance to professional users.

How many academically and technically trained professionals are there out there, on a global scale?

If we assume 1% of the global population, that would still be 65 million potential users!

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
www.rainbowwarriors.net
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
www.projectparadigm.info