Re: [skua-discuss] Final report draft

Danny, hello.

On 2009 Aug 3, at 00:04, Danny Ayers wrote:

> 2009/8/3 Norman Gray <norman@astro.gla.ac.uk>:
>>

>> Folks,
>>
>> If anyone's interested, there's a (complete? but unpolished) draft of
>> the SKUA final report temporarily at <http://nxg.me.uk/temp/skua-report.pdf
>>  >.
>>
>> If anyone has any comments or suggestions they'd like to make, I'd be
>> delighted to receive them.
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> Norman
>
> Looks good to me, though what I'd love to see would be a companion doc
> without the funding bid emphasis, maybe a 1/3 the length, focussing on
> SKUA for " the rest of us"

Oh, I wouldn't bother reading this document, if I were you.  It's a
draft project deliverable, which consequently has chunks of text from
all over bunged into it.  Its main function is not to be read, but to
exist, and look respectable (and excellent value for money!).

The best summary of the project is our SFSW09 workshop paper at <http://ceur-ws.org/Vol-449/ShortPaper5.pdf
 > -- does that look more like what you're thinking of?  I've updated
the website <http://myskua.org> to point to that (so thanks for the
prod!), and it occurs to me that it'd be a very good idea to add the
same link to the beginning of the report.

I only passed on the pointer to the skua-discuss group to reassure
folk that the draft was finally happening, and in case anyone spotted
a 'ye gods, don't say that!!!' remark.

> and your own thoughts right now on the
> status of semast.

Ah, now that's a different matter.

Semantic Astronomy is an interesting thing (and although it's rather
ugly, the term 'astroinformatics' is probably a better one to use).
Astronomy has lots of data, ranging from lightly to heavily
structured, and from medium to really quite large volumes (multi-
LHCs), and we've only just started to develop the best ways of
expressing the available semantics in a way which is acceptable and
useful to that community.

All the best,

Norman

--
Norman Gray  :  http://nxg.me.uk
Dept Physics and Astronomy, University of Leicester, UK