Re: Managing Co-reference (Was: A Semantic Elephant?)

FredG says:

Exact; there is nothing bad with owl:sameAs in itself. It does what it has
to do: asserting that two resources are *individuals* that have the same
identity. The OWL spec is clear about that:

"The built-in OWL property owl:sameAs links an individual to an individual.
Such an owl:sameAs statement indicates that two URI references actually
refer to the same thing: the individuals have the same "identity"."

There is nothing wrong about using this property. Some times its the best
property to use, other times less so.

No construct is good or bad, it is only useful or not in a given context. I
agree with Aldo's view that the way owl:sameAs was being used in some of the
extended DBpedia datasets will have undesirable consequences.  Anyone
assertions.

The musician example is a good one.  If you use owl:sameAs, then if you
query the properties of either URI, you get *all the properties of both URIs
* -- because owl:sameAs makes them both refer to the same individual.  If
that is the behavior you want, then owl:sameAs is a good choice. If not,
then using owl:sameAs will have undesirable consequences.

Its that simple. what is harder is:

   - getting people to understand exactly what the consequences are,
   - motivating them to carefully consider the consequences before they make
   a decision, and to document that decision.

PUNCH LINE:

   - owl:sameAs is a very powerful construct and can easily give undesirable
   results
   - people who use it should clearly understand what it means and what the
   inferential consequences of its use are
   - rational for its use should be documented if possible, especially if
   the author recognizes that it is a gray area and is being chosen as the
   lesser of two evils
      - less evil: use sameAs to link two closely related concepts
      - more evil: don't use sameAs, which may be technically the right
      thing to do, but then some things don't happen that you DO want.
      - hence, there may be a need for a less powerful construct than
   sameAs, but I can't thin what it might be, or what its inferential
   consequences should be.

Michael