Re: web to semantic web : an automated approach

On Tue Oct 21, 2008 at 10:45:27AM -0400, Powers, Matthew wrote:
> I would imagine that if search engines starting crawling this data ??? that would be incentive enough to begin incorporation of this paradigm into their site.
>
> ???Most of html generated my websites is not even valid??? ??? by this do you mean IDE???s like Visual Studio?

referring to the Opera study, they mean a wide crawl piped through W3C validator.

the about page of validator.w3.org says HTML 4.01 is the newest version it will check

given W3C's last half-decade tendency to 'prescribe' standards , im not really surprised

given HTML5's focus on 'documenting' what the top 4 or 5 browsers, and document authors, are actually doing, id bet the valid %age is much higher

care to rerun the tests?

any approach to a global semantic web is going to have to live with however people are imbuing metadata (microformats, ATOM, weird jresig/HTML5 data-* attributes, etc) and lead by example in the other areas if they have some sort of agenda (like: use RDFa or XHTML2)