Re: [call for comments] voiD - vocabulary of interlinked datasets

Hausenblas, Michael wrote:

> Dear interested people in linked datasets,
>
> As you may have gathered, we have recently initiated a discussion on how
> to discover the linked dataset cloud [1]. The result of our impromptu
> kick-off meeting at the ESWC08 is literally voiD - the ' vocabulary of
> interlinked datasets' (see notes at [2]). This is a proposal for a
> vocabulary and a mechanism how it should be deployed and used. We have
> some first slides available at [3] as well.
>
> Please consider commenting on it either by replying to this message
> and/or sharing your thoughts with us at the Wiki [2].
>
> Cheers,
> 	Michael

Thanks for the pointer Michael.

I'm not quite sure what the proposal is, which makes it quite hard to
comment :-)

Looking at the wiki the idea is currently one class: lod:Dataset, which
is associated with topics. That seems nicely minimal, although as
written it seems broken (is a dataset a foaf:Document? unlikely. and why
use x sameAs y rather than just y? would skos:subject work better?). A
thumbs up.

Do you have a clearer idea of what a dataset is: something like a (frbr)
work, expression, or manifestation of some information? Is any web
resource a dataset?

Finally I ought to mention that we do have ways to describe data: rdf
schema and owl, so we have a head start. Augmenting with statistics
might be useful, as you indicate.

Damian

P.S. I think there is already information about this in the ESW wiki.