Re: Linked Data available

Hugh,

This looks like it could be an awesome resource. Unfortunately I
didn't have much luck getting any kind of data back from the services.

The "browse" function doesn't do anything useful for me. I searched
for a wide variety of terms, including "the", "a" and "2003" in the
first ten or so datasets, including the one called Citeseer and DBLP.
No results. What am I supposed to put into the search box?

I also tried to explore the datasets using SPARQL queries. I started
with queries such as

    SELECT DISTINCT ?class WHERE { ?x a ?class }

to learn about the vocabulary used in the dataset. These queries
return some results on some of the datasets (they time out on others),
but clicking any of the results consistently showed a page with zero
results. Same for opening in an RDF browser.

So in fact, despite honestly trying, the only way I could get any real
data back from the services was by using the four example URIs
provided at www.rkbexplorer.com .

Obviously a lot of work went into this. It's a shame that it's so hard
to make any use of it because the last 5% are missing.

What are those last 5%?

1. A brief description of what each dataset actually is, and what sort
of data it contains. The currently available information (who provided
the data and some triple counts) are not enough.

2. A bunch of representative example URIs for each dataset.

3. A bunch of representative and interesting SPARQL queries against
each dataset.

4. If possible, a note on what vocabulary (classes and properties) are
used in each dataset. This would greatly simplify SPARQLing the
datasets.

5. You should think really hard about “natural” navigation entry
points into the datasets. Is there any natural “root” from which
everything can be accessed? Is there a category system or class
hierarchy that one can navigate along to find interesting stuff?

6. You should consider adding a few domain-specific search functions,
such as the simple “Find Yourself” function provided at http://dblp.l3s.de/d2r/
  .

I'm a bit frustrated because this looks like an amazingly great
resource, but I can't actually get any clear feeling for its scope or
quality or contents. This feels like exploring a pitch black room
while wearing boxing gloves.

I'm very hopeful that you can greatly improve this experience with
little effort.

Thanks a lot,
Richard