Re: RDF 2.0 proposal: contextual properties

Garret Wilson wrote:

>> I really do not like this general move of turning everything into '2.0'.
>>

> Call it what you will---contextual properties is a feature that I need
> and I think would be useful. I was using "RDF 2.0" as a shorthand
> because of the complaints I had received for complaining about the
> current RDF---I was told basically to go propose a new RDF or shut up.
> So I chose the easier of the two... ;)

To me this is all a question of priorities. To me, what could use fixing
in RDF and related specs are:

 - dump reification
 - normalize the RDF/XML syntax
 - allow literal lists in RDF/XML
 - add support for querying lists to SPARQL

I think it'd also make sense to add named graph support to RDF/XML;
namely, an rdf:about attribute to the root rdf:RDF node (though should
probably be changed to rdf:graph).

Finally, I've often seen suggestions we need support for provenance and
time baked into the model (who made a statement, and when is it valid)
beyond named graphs. That seems like it might be a good idea.

A lot of the examples you're presenting just don't rise to the level of
the above for me. I don't really think your vCard example with telephone
numbers and names makes your case for contextual properties, for
example. To really model it the way you want to model it suggests you
actually model context yourself.

<http://ex.net/1> a vcard:VCard ;
     vx:context <http://ex.net/2> ;
     vx:context <http://ex.net/3> .

<http://ex.net/2> a context:Home ;
     vcard:telephone tel:13-49813-94831 .

<http://ex.net/3> a context:Work ;
     vcard:telephone tel:11084-093184931 .

Is there any reason that's not adequate and *requires* changing the RDF
model to get around?

Bruce