Re: How to express a photography with FRBR on Flickr

Karl,
   First off, yes I'm still writing that essay :) I might put an in-
progress version up if you want to see some text.

   Secondly, responses inline!

-R

On 6 Sep 2005, at 11:17, Karl Dubost wrote:

> There is a photography
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/36680383/
> The title is
>     "The gardener slipped through the cracks"
> The photo belongs to this set
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/sets/659154/
> The owner is
>     "Karl Dubost"
> The foaf file is
>     http://www.la-grange.net/karl-foaf.xrdf
> Original uploaded version of the image is at
>     http://static.flickr.com/22/36680383_072987e88e_o_d.jpg
> The Square Thumbnail is at
>     http://static.flickr.com/22/36680383_072987e88e_s_d.jpg
> The license is
>     http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/
> The tags for the image are
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/montreal/
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/quebec/
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/canada/
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/chair/
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/sidewalk/

Those properties look exactly like my photo schema, which is good
news for me (even down to "square"!).

<http://www.holygoat.co.uk/owl/2005/05/photo/>

The schema is actually discussed in detail in my essay, so if you
want to know more I'll send you a copy.

> <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/36680383/>
>   a frbr:Work;
>   frbr:Person <#karl_dubost>;
>   dc:title "The gardener slipped through the cracks"@en ;
>   dc:date "2005-07-31";
>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/montreal/> ;
>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/quebec/> ;
>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/canada/> ;
>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/chair/> ;
>   frbr:subject <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/tags/sidewalk/> ;
>   frbr:realization <http://static.flickr.com/
> 22/36680383_072987e88e_o_d.jpg> .

It's questionable at which level the "Photograph" -- "Image file"
distinction is made.

I would tend to think that there's a blurring between the Work and
Expression for <http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/36680383/>, then
each resource which always gets sent as the same sequence of bytes is
a manifestation, of which there are multiple items. (Or something
like that, anyway.)

My existing schema is only two-level for this reason, but it needs a
lot of thought.

Bruce D'Arcus has some interesting input about photography, and how
different developments and prints are likely to produce new
expressions, manifestations, and items. It's complex, which has
slowed me down :)

> QUESTIONS:
>     I haven't figured out to express the following things. Any help?
>
> The photo belongs to this set
>     http://www.flickr.com/photos/karl/sets/659154/

FRBR parts. The set is a work, the page showing the set is lower down
the hierarchy, as is the document itself. The components tie in at
each level -- the conceptual set has the conceptual images as its
parts, while the page set has the manifestations as its parts.

This ought to be cast down.

> The Square Thumbnail is at
>     http://static.flickr.com/22/36680383_072987e88e_s_d.jpg

I came up with a thumbnail property. A thumbnail is a derived 'thing'
forked from the main FRBR tree.

> The license is
>     http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/

Isn't the CC stuff described the RDF anyway? Seems like one could
just hang the appropriate triple off of whichever level at which you
wish to apply the license.