Re: How will the semantic web emerge

I think the second in particular is clearly counter to RDF's
construction. Properties are as flexible as they are for good reason,
and it will often be silly to exhaustively list the types that apply
(or even their most specific subclass) to a given node, instead just
using the properties for various additional types as appropriate.

As for the first, my general preference would be to avoid making it
so schema/contracts cannot match in many cases.

In that line, one approach I'm taking right now is something I'm
calling Event-Actor. I declare there are event nodes that certain
fairly generic actors can participate in in various ways, and then I
declare subclasses of the fairly generic actor class(es) to be
equivalent classes to the appropriate actor class intersection
participation in one or more particular events. Instances are only
declared as being a fairly generic actor class, and inference is used
to determine subclasses that are appropriate.

For instance, I might talk about a Person as a fairly generic actor
class, and have an Adoption event, with maybe an isAdopted/adoptedIn
property/inverse pair. Then an AdoptedChild would be any Person with
an adoptedIn cardinality 1 or greater. All I need to do is declare
instances as people, and make them participants in the appropriate
events as I go. Then when I want all the AdoptedChild instances, I
can just retrieve those from my inferencing store, and find out who
(for instance) their AdoptiveParent(s) are by following some
properties off of the attached Adoption events.

This particularly makes sense with systems involving time
progression, where events are evident, such as where I am currently
applying it, in an ontology for a webcomic.

Particularly as this webcomic can involve many wonky things (such as
humans turning into rabbits due to crossing alternate reality
barriers), I avoid stating disjointness, and since I never declare
anything as one of the subclasses designed for inference, I can't
ever find an instance of a subclass that doesn't obey the appropriate
"contract" -- that's why it was determined to be that subclass in the
first place, because it fulfilled the contract.

Heh, I managed to ramble a bit there.

Russell