Re: ISSUE: Where do faults go?

If a wsa: header arrives mU=true, and I don't understand WSA, then,
well, I don't understand WSA.

So the question is what if I see a foo:SomeHeader mU=true, I don't
understand that, but I do understand WSA and there's a valid wsa:FaultTo?

In such a case, 2.4 of the SOAP 1.2 Messaging Framework says:

    Therefore, for every mandatory SOAP header block targeted to a node,
    that node MUST either process the header block or not process the
    SOAP message at all, and instead generate a fault (see *2.6
    Processing SOAP Messages*
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/#procsoapmsgs>
    and *5.4 SOAP Fault*
    <http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/REC-soap12-part1-20030624/#soapfault>).

>From this I believe we have concluded that we can't use WSA information
-- as that would mean processing the SOAP message -- and instead have to
rely on whatever the binding would do without WSA.  For a SOAP
request-response MEP (regardless of how we got there), that would
generally mean use the response channel.  This is the same thing we
would get by defaulting to anonymous in WSA-land, but we get there
differently.  In a fire-and-forget case, this might generally mean
dropping the fault on the floor (or logging it, or whatever, but
generally not putting it on the wire).

To do anything different, it seems we would have to make a specific
exception to the usual SOAP processing model.  Presumably the usual
model is there for a reason.  For example, the not-understood foo:
header might say something important about disposition of faults in general.

At this point, it's probably more appropriate to look at this in the
context of the SOAP "one-way MEP".  The behavior in the request-response
case seems reasonable, and there's not much we can change here at this
point anyway.