Re: Web Payments and Identity Verification

On 8/27/11 1:49 PM, Manu Sporny wrote:

> Those requirements seem diametrically opposed to one another. How can
> you have a central authority that is required to check that ownership
> claims for a particular piece of content is valid /and/ have anonymity
> at the same time for whistle-blowers and political activists?

Granted; it seems that having multiple authorities is better. And in
my example of pseudonyms in the publishing industry, stretching back
centuries, it would be a particular publisher (not, say, "The State")
who would be trusted with the connection to the author who wished to
remain anonymous.

> identity. We've been impressed with a sub-set of WebID to publish
> identity (public keys, which are then used to verify digital signatures).

Very interesting; thank you. Demo was clean and fast. This seems like
an interesting step. I dislike having Flash but I understand that it
was (is) necessary to make your point. Hopefully eventually WebID or
something like it will function without Flash.

Steven