Re: createBlobURL

> On Mon, 18 Oct 2010 16:03:30 +0200, Arthur Barstow
> <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:
>>   Arun and Jonas would like to publish a new Working Draft of the
>> File API spec and this is Call for Consensus to do so:
>>
>>    http://dev.w3.org/2006/webapi/FileAPI/
>>
>> As with all of our CfCs, positive response is preferred and
>> encouraged and silence will be assumed to be assent.
>>
>> The deadline for comments is October 22. This comment period is a bit
>> shorter than our typical 1-week review period but this will allow us
>> to sync the publication of this spec with the File API: {Writer,
>> Directories and System} specs. If this short comment period causes
>> any issues or concerns, please let us know.
>
> I support publication, but [XHR2] is currently a broken link (misses a
> # I think).

Duly noted.  I'll fix this ASAP.

> Also, if createBlobURL is the way to go -- rather than Blob.url -- can
> we design it in a generic way so that it also works for Stream objects?

This would be a good idea; this was noted as part of the issues [1].

Is your suggestion to have a generic method (with a better name) that
takes Streams or Blobs as arguments?  Do you have a suggestion for
signature or method name?

> Otherwise we will get createStreamURL as well which seems kind of
> unnecessary. Maybe even better, can we somehow converge this with the
> URL specification Adam Barth was working on? So you can do new
> URL(Blob) rather than having more methods on Window?

OK, that's engineering for maximum use cases, but not a bad idea on the
whole.  However last I checked, the URL API was a proposal as a Google
doc[2].  Does it live somewhere more permanent?   Implementations are
already in circulation that have *.createBlobURL which leads me to:

> Also, is there some kind of implementation summary available regarding
> the File API specifications? With what is shipping prefixed and what
> is shipping without a prefix? We are interested in supporting this too
> in the distant future.

No, but there should be.   I think it's Firefox nightlies and Chromium
nightlies for now.  Firefox isn't using a prefix on the method.

-- A*
[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webapps/2010OctDec/0083.html
[2]
https://docs.google.com/document/edit?id=1r_VTFKApVOaNIkocrg0z-t7lZgzisTuGTXkdzAk4gLU&hl=en&pli=1#