Re: OMG Ontology Metamodel Definition Review

Phil Tetlow wrote:

> Jeremy,
>
> Ok, so I hope that a light hearted reply is in order?
>
> Interesting that you prefer to concentrate on  the conclusions. I
> personally felt that additional text was needed to recognised the excellent
> work that both the ODM and UML teams have undertaken to get us to where we
> are today. I further consider that the material in sections 7 & 8 of this
> document is indeed important. It provides an extremely valuable context for
> those who do not have the advantage of being as familiar with this area as
> recognised experts such as yourself - This type of material is
> unfortunately lacking within our community. Nevertheless, point taken - I
> am a consultant by trade, so 'fluff' is my native dialect, only we have a
> technical term for it....For me it is harder to be concise. I must
> apologise.
>
> I think its really important to get across is the obvious overall value of
> this document, as well as the individual recommendations it makes - right
> or wrong. It is surely superb that such a comprehensive piece of work has
> been undertaken at this opportune time and I'm enthused that it will help
> to 'align' current thinking across a number of desperate camps.

I agree wholeheartedly that it is important to express enthusiasm, but
I'm increasingly aware of the enthusiasm expressed by a short review
such as this one:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-qa/2005Jan/0028
[[
The CSS working group reviewed the document[1] and has no comments. We
found the document clear and readable.
]]
(that's a complete review)

(that's probably a little too far the other way), A document editor
wants to know - "did they like it?" "what do I need to do?". The first
sentence of a review should answer the first question, the rest of the
review the second; care should be taken to highlight important changes
from unimportant changes.

It's merely stylistic preferences, and yes it oftens takes longer to say
the same in fewer words.

Jeremy