Re: signatures vs sf-date

On 02.12.2022 10:46, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> --------
> Julian Reschke writes:
>
>>> It has never, to my knowledge, been used, much less widely used, in
>>> the /envelope/ used to steer that transport (ie: the HTTP-headers).
>>
>> It has, for instance in Content-Disposition (which, FWIW, has an
>> encoding scheme for that that works over ASCII).
>
> You mean RFC5987 ?

Yes.

> If I remember right, '*' was allowed in sf's parameter names /precisely/
> to cater for that, and the other side of RFC5987's '=' is a valid sf-token.
>
> So when there already is a perfectly serviceable RFC you can layer on top
> of sf, why would sf need to wade into the sump too ?

It's not a sump. This is not helpful.

So, as author of SF, can you answer why SF doesn't recommend that
encoding (instead of binary)?

My theory:

1) It's ugly.

2) It's super-verbose.

3) It causes potential conflicts when "both" variants are present.

> If you want us to add "For I18N strings, see RFC5987" we can do that of course...

I'm pretty sure there would be an outcry, but go ahead :-).

>> How many JSON files do you find regularly with broken strings? (Yes,
>> when transferred over US-ASCII transport)
>
> Not nearly as many, because I dont receive several hundred JSON files each day :-)

Is "not nearly as many" maybe "0"?

Best regards, Julian