Re: #904: Content on GET requirement strength

On 2021-07-16, at 22:43, Asbjørn Ulsberg <asbjorn@ulsberg.no> wrote:

> accommodate these use cases, an I-D for a safe method with body has
> been initiated:
>
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-httpbis-safe-method-w-body/
>
> With such a method in the implementer's toolbox, I'm pretty certain a
> MUST NOT requirement would be easy to swallow.

Indeed.

> However, since the I-D
> is still far from completion and there are no standardized
> alternatives to GET with body, a more elaborate explanation of
> potential security and privacy risks and stronger language with the
> current SHOULD NOT requirement seems appropriate.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/httpbis/about/

doesn’t indicate anything about the trajectory the SEARCH draft mentioned above is in, so I’m speaking from the experience of having done a similar thing in RFC 8132 (there, the same method is called FETCH):  It should not be long (6 months?  Surely < 12 months?) until that document is published, while the referencing documents are probably intended to be good for a decade or so.  So the perspective here should be that it’s done.

Grüße, Carsten